The Banana Flower Vada recipe is commonly known as Vazhaipoo Vadai in Tamil. It is one of the favourite evening snacks in most south Indian homes, especially in Tamil Nadu. Banana Flower has got amazing health benefits. As it is rich in nutrients, including fibre, and antioxidants which support bone health lowers blood sugar & cholesterol levels and much more.
About Banana Flower Vada Recipe
The banana blossom, also known as a “banana heart”, is a fleshy, purple-skinned flower, shaped like a tear, which grows at the end of a banana fruit cluster. Traditionally used in south-east Asian and Indian cooking, it can also be eaten raw and its chunky, flaky texture makes it an ideal substitute for fish.
Banana Flower Vada Recipe
- 1 Cup Chana Dal (Soaked)
- 3/4 Cup Banana Flower (Chopped)
- 1 medium Onion (Finely Chopped)
- 1 tbsp Ginger – 1Tbsp (Finely Chopped)
- 1-2 pcs Green Chilli (Finely Chopped)
- 2-3 Curry Leaves– Little (Finely Chopped)
- Coriander Leaves – Handful (Finely Chopped)
- 12 pcs. Mint Leaves (Finely Chopped)
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds/Jeera
- ½ tsp Carrom Seeds/Ajwain
- ½ tsp Fennel seeds/Saunf
- 1 pinch Asafoetida/Hing – a pinch
- Salt – ToTaste
- Oil – To Fry
- Cleaning the Banana Flower involves an important step of removing the pistil & calyx before chopping.
- Water should be completely drained from the soaked Chana Dal. Then grind the dal to a coarse paste.
- Add all other ingredients – Chopped onion, curry, coriander & mint leaves, ginger, chilli, jeera, saunf, ajwain, hing, salt. Mix them well.
- Take a small lemon-sized mixture, flatten it between the palms & deep fry it in hot oil. For even cooking & crispness keep the flame low throughout.
- Fry until golden brown & serve hot with chutneys & tea/coffee.
Frequently Asked Question
Q; How do you clean and store banana flowers?
- Before beginning, rub some oil on your palms. Then chop the board as the hands as well the board gets stained when cleaning banana flowers.
- Remove these florets and collect them in a plate or bowl.
- Now take each floret and check for the two parts that need to be discarded.
Q; What to do if banana flower is bitter after cooking?
From each tiny bloom, the calyx must be removed as also the bitterest part: A long slender pod called the stigma. After this, the blooms are dunked in water and lime juice to prevent them from discolouring and perhaps remove more bitterness, but not all.
Q; Is banana flower good for stomach?
Banana flowers are rich in soluble and non-soluble fibres. Which helps you feel full for a longer time and prevent constipation and other digestive problems. These fibres improve healthy gut microbes and reduce the risk of gut cancer. They also lower blood sugar levels and decrease the risk of type-2 diabetes.
Q; What vitamin is in banana flower?
Banana blossoms contain significant potassium, and calcium, as well as vitamins A, C, and E. Apart from powerful flavonoids like quercetin and catechin.